Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Blanket Making Trial 2: Improvements could be made

 I tried again... I like the pattern I used for this version a bit more, although I'm still tweaking it. I added trim on the top and some contouring in the back. Still need to work on my belly strap placement. I feel like both straps need to move further to the front and the back straps need to move down a bit. But it is a nice looking fully functioning blanket! (And it glows in the dark).

The other big takeaway would be to make the front buckle ahead of time so that it can be properly sewn on, right now I've just been fabric gluing it on.




Yes it does match the spooky Halloween set. This whole set (minus the horse) is now available on my etsy for $42. https://www.etsy.com/listing/865166646/spooky-halloween-delux-set-model-horse?ref=shop_home_feat_1&frs=1

To do a blanket with back tapering I decided to try sewing the two sides together (did the same with the felt piece too). Then I ironed them so they were nice and flat.

Then I added the middle trim.

You can see the tapering worked pretty well to make the back look nice.


Then I glued on then sewed on the straps. I've already discussed how placement could be better. 

`

After sewing down.


Am I getting better? Yes. Am I going to need to order more blanket hooks? Yes. Did seeing desktop stables update about lots of gorgeous halloween blankets make me discouraged? ( a little, but really more determined). Pro Life Tip: It's okay to look to others and compare your work, to see what you want to improve on. But you shouldn't judge your work against other people's, the only person you need to do better than is the person you were yesterday.



1 comment:

Upgrading a Wreath, horse girl style